Monday, June 17, 2013

To Make His Name Great (Part 1)

First things first:





I am fully supported financially and leaving for Uganda in July!









Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise;
    his greatness no one can fathom.
One generation commends your works to another;
    they tell of your mighty acts.
They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty—
    and I will meditate on your wonderful works.
They tell of the power of your awesome works—
    and I will proclaim your great deeds.
They tell of the glory of your kingdom
    and speak of your might,
so that all people may know of your mighty acts
    and the glorious splendor of your kingdom.
Psalm 145: 4-6, 11-12

Because I want you to understand the full extent of God's glory and the splendor of his kingdom, I'm going be transparent. I want to share my story so that His name might be made great.

I know there are big lessons to be learned through the support-raising process. God stretches me in ways that will prepare me for my time in Africa. I will need to trust God in big ways as I serve Him there. Raising support is only the beginning. It's the first chance to learn to rest in Him and trust Him to work out His best for me and in me. Serving in Uganda, I'll have many amazing stories about God's provision in His way and in His time. 

I know this, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

The past six months of raising support has been quite a ride. At times I was full of hope and faith, confident in the Lord's provision and timing, overwhelmed with gratitude. Other times, I questioned whether or not I was getting the message out effectively. Sometimes I slept in peace, sometimes I didn't sleep at all. I always remembered His name, but sometimes I didn't walk in the fullness of it.

I'm only human, after all. 
Psalm 103:14 says it best: "...for [God] knows how we are formed, he remembers we are dust."

I am dust. That's all. And I praise God that he remembers that! In my moments of weaker faith, in the times when I want to give up, when I know that logically it can never be... He remembers exactly how he created me. God has searched me and knows me.

And if I can take a moment to be honest with you, too, six days ago I didn't think I'd be leaving for Uganda in July. I was still over $600 short in monthly support, and from where I was standing...where my eyes were focusing...the mountain seemed too big.

Though I didn't doubt God's access to unlimited resources, as they all belong to Him, raising support no longer felt like holy work. I was desperate and feeling wrung out.


I'd been saying for the past three week that if my support came in on time, it will truly be a miracle. 

So on June 11th, I sent an email to a few individual prayer warriors. I couldn't do the praying on my own, so I begged them to beg God for a miracle on my behalf. I told them we needed a miracle!

I shared the need with my supporters one last time. You helped spread the word.

And then I experienced a miracle. A real, true, honest, miracle! 

Within two hours of that initial plea, support starting coming in. Within 24 hours, I was fairly certain I'd be leaving for Uganda in July.

You see, God heard your prayers. He saw that it was an opportunity to bring glory and fame to His name. God heard your petitions for a miracle and said,

"For my own sake, for my own sake, I do this. 
How can I let myself be defamed? 
I will not give my glory to another.
Is. 48:11

So the Holy Spirit worked, hearts were stirred, minds we opened, and grace upon grace poured down on me. For 24 hours straight, my email inbox was flooded, and my heart spilled over with gratitude and repentance. With each gift, God spoke to me saying, 
"Here you go. This is for you. 
Why did you doubt? 
I make ways in the wilderness and streams in the desert. 
I finish what I start. I will do this, too."

Over and over I heard that message. All. Day. Long.

"He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it." 
1 Thess. 5:24
"...The Lord is trustworthy in all he promises and faithful in all he does."
 Psalm 145:13

It has nothing to do with me. (Thank goodness.) God is faithful. He will do it.

God knew my heart, and He chose to respond with abundant grace in spite of my doubts. The discipline of the Lord is truly sweet and utterly humbling. 
It wasn't only the miracle of my financial support coming in... A miracle was happening within me, as well.

I'm thrilled to share this opportunity to praise His glorious name and mighty acts with you! 
It's incredible to have witnessed a miracle before our very eyes! 
I hope you find great joy in praising His deep faithfulness to us! 

He is worthy.

(check back in soon to hear more about how extravagantly and abundantly He provided...!)

No comments :

Post a Comment