Sunday, July 14, 2013

Off We Go

As of Friday night, we arrived safely and without incident in Nairobi, Kenya. I though I better share a quick update with you all while I still have reliable internet access. After a couple days of filling out lots of paperwork at AIM's US headquarters in Peachtree City, Georgia, it was time to start loading the U-Haul with our luggage.

Three families, another single gal, and I checked-out and traveled together. There were 19 of us and 55 checked pieces of luggage... not the mention the multiple carry-on pieces we each had!

 The Delta Sky Caps saw us arrive at the airport and immediately sectioned off a portion of the check-in desks for our use. Getting the luggage inside went surprisingly quickly! It helps when you pile 15+ bags on one luggage cart.



Some AIM staff came to help us unload the bags, as well. This is Kristen, my candidate facilitator. Basically, she's the one who made all of the logistics of me getting to Africa possible. I sent her so many emails every week, and she answered every single one of my questions. Her ministry with AIM is indispensable. 



 50 pound weight limit. Nailed it.


Most of the luggage waiting to be checked.


The Halvorsons: one of the sweet families serving with AIM AIR (Dan is a pilot) in Nairobi, Kenya. 

After 24 hours, two flights, two security checks, one layover in Amsterdam, and successful purchases of our visas....







We made it!

We've been staying at AIM's Kenya guesthouse, called Mayfield. We will leave here on Tuesday afternoon and travel about an hour and a half east to Machakos where we will spend the next three weeks for orientation.



I'm going to enjoy soaking up this last few moments of rest and relaxation before the hard work begins!

1 comment :