Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Word

"Count it all as grace."
....

"No, you didn't hear me... Count it ALL as grace."

This is the message that I keep receiving over and over again this week. It's clearly something that God is trying to work into my heart and soul.

I first heard it in Ephesians 3:7-8
"I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power. Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, 
this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ..."

Oh yeah. This journey I'm called on right now...these terrifying steps of obedience... they are grace! In asking me to commit to serving mothers and babies for two years in Uganda, God was pouring out His grace on me, giving me the best gift He could think of!

And then I saw it in his faithfulness to keep His promises.


Next, I heard it the words of prayer and petition sweetly prayed over me by my most precious friends.

Tuesday morning, as I sat waiting for my plane to start boarding, the grace came in the form of a familiar and friendly face. A sister in Christ and member of my sending church in Iowa City just happened to be at the next gate over with her family, waiting to leave for vacation. She spotted me and came over to say hello and offer support. Grace upon grace.

I was seated next to an elderly woman on that first flight. As I unsuccessfully tried to fight back tears, I glanced over to see what she was reading. A Nora Roberts paperback. "Opposites Attract." Ha. But there is always grace when you're looking for it... and I really needed it right then...and I found it. Written on her bookmark: Hebrews 10:23-25 
"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful..." 

Ah, there it is again. The Gospel I have received by grace is hope.

Going to Uganda in 2011 felt more like entering the Promise Land. Going to Uganda now, in 2013, feels more like the 40 years of wandering in the desert.

But great things happened for the Israelites as they lived in the desert. God drew near. He dwelt among them. He provided for their needs in miraculous ways. Bread from the sky. Water from a rock. He molded and shaped His chosen people until they resembled Him more, and then he deemed them to be a royal priesthood. A holy nation. Set apart for His purposes in the world.

Even the desert is grace.

No comments :

Post a Comment