Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Time to Celebrate

Tonight I went to an incredible Easter production put on by one of the local churches here. The cast consisted mostly of university students, and for two hours I sat there on a hard, wooden pew in a totally packed out church with my jaw dropped in amazement. Choreographed dances...everything from lyrical to hip-hop, monologues, songs, comedy, cultural moments and jokes, entire passages of scripture memorized, and countless costume changes.

Honestly, I've never been to an Easter production that was so funny! Some of the comedy was intentional, and other moments were funny to me for other reasons, but there were so many times during the show that the audience burst out in raucous laughter, myself included. And it was interesting to me that throughout the entire show there was a constant, low murmur as people continued to talk with their friends and neighbors and comment on what was happening in the play. I don't think there was ever a moment of complete silence in the audience, but it made for a very relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere!

One of the most beautiful things to me about this production was the reminder of what the Kingdom of heaven will be like. The opening act of the show was an elaborate dance that showcased traditional dances from all over Uganda and even Rwanda. These young men and women were dancing and moving in ways that most of us can only dream of! They had so much talent and joy and were "preaching the gospel in a way that many of us can't," as the pastor of the church said. But one day, when our future hope of glory has been realized, we'll all dance perfectly before the throne of grace. We will eternally celebrate our great salvation and the perfect sacrifice Christ made for us on the cross. Every tribe, tongue, and nation will join together in a song of worship to our King.

Tonight was just a glimpse of the eternal pleasures that wait for those who put their trust in Jesus as Savior. I pray that this joy and hope is real in your hearts as we reflect on the death and resurrection of the Messiah this week.

  But he was pierced for our transgressions;
  he was crushed for our iniquities;
 upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
  and with his wounds we are healed.
Isaiah 53:5

I am the living one. I died, but look--I am alive forever and ever!
And I hold the keys of death and the grave.
Revelation 1:18

...the Lamb will overcome them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings
--and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers.
Revelation 17:14

No comments :

Post a Comment