Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Q & A

Here is a list of some FAQs and the answers, as of now:

What grade will you be teaching?
I don't know :) They tell me that I can decide when I get there.

What will your day look like?
Initially, I will only be teaching 8-10 hours a week at the school. During my first few months I will spend a significant amount of time in a language learning program. This will involve working with a local Ugandan who will be my tutor and help me go out and practice what I'm learning in the community. I hear that "While a 10 hour week in the US would be boring, a 10 hour week (in school), along with language learning, and cultural adjustments will wear you out – cooking takes longer (no frozen pizzas here), shopping takes longer and there is no such thing as a short 5 minute conversation." Once I finish some language learning and as I wrap up my first term teaching, my schedule for the next term will be re-evaluated and hours will be adjusted as necessary.

Where will you be living?
Kelsea and I will be living the the house of a missionary couple on our team who will be back in the US for the year that we are in Uganda. They have kindly opened up their (fully furnished!) home to us and another girl who will be joining us later. We will have a fridge, stove, and hot water... and a coffee maker!...luxuries we weren't counting on but ones that will be fully appreciated! We will be living on a hill where some of our team leaders and members also live. Although things are very subject to change, it looks like this is going to work out nicely! The house is also close enough to Ruharo that we'll be able to walk back and forth to school every day which will save on transportation costs and give me a chance to meet and interact with people in the community.

Will you be working with other people there?
Yes, we will be part of a team. Each member of the team is involved with some type of ministry in the community from agriculture work, to finances, to education, to physical therapy, to discipleship. We meet every Tuesday evening for team meetings and use this time to discuss ministries, business and study scripture or pray together. We are all within a 5 minute drive of each other.

Can people ship things to you?
Yes! However, it can take anywhere from 1-6 months for a package to arrive. The US Postal workers' estimates are not accurate. We will love to get them, though :) I'll keep you posted on an address...

Will you have internet and be able to communicate with people?
Yes! We will be able to communicate as much as we want. Although the internet is dial-up and very slow, most of the team can use Skype regularly with no problems – and even with video on good days.

Will you be able to travel around?
Yes! There will be break times, and we will be free to do whatever we want with this time. There will be opportunities for us to visit local game parks, such as Queen Elizabeth National Park, visit the genocide memorials in Rwanda, see some of the local lakes, and make some much needed “rest” trips to Kampala. I am also greatly looking forward to visiting the girl I've been sponsoring since my first trip to Uganda!

1 comment :

  1. Carolyn, I'm so excited for you! Just want you to know that I will be praying for you and tracking your journey there in Africa. I'm starting your brown dress today. What an amazingly versatile pattern! I look forward to meeting you soon.

    ReplyDelete