Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Often when people find out I'm going to Uganda one of the first questions they ask me is "Is it safe there?"

I know what they're asking and what they're thinking. Africa isn't exactly known for being a peaceful place void of political unrest. Idi Amin wasn't a particularly admirable president in the 70's, to say the very least. But when people wonder about my safety in going to Uganda, I have two thoughts:

Nothing is 100% safe. Something as simple as driving your car to the grocery store can be dangerous when you realize that on your way you'll pass hundreds of thousand-pound hunks of metal hurtling down the road at at least 25 mph. Of those hundreds of cars you have control over zero of them! Yes, we will be smart. We will take all the necessary precautions and won't be taking unnecessary risks, but nothing is completely safe.

On the other hand, I cannot think of a safer or better place to be than in the center of God's will. Uganda is where God has called me to serve, and I trust that he will fulfill his promise to uphold me with his righteous right hand and never leave me or forsake me. Nothing will be able to separate me from the love of God, and no harm will overtake me. Psalm 91 says it all. These are the promises that give me peace that surpasses understanding!

The Lord is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

No comments :

Post a Comment