Sunday, January 9, 2011

Surrender

I heard the most encouraging sermon at church today. It centered on Genesis 32 where Jacob wrestles with God in the nighttime. What an interesting and powerful text this is! What really caught my attention, though, was the location where these events were taking place. Jacob's family had all crossed over the river of Jabbok, and Jacob was waiting on the other side until morning. He was alone...away from all the noise, chaos, and distractions of life. And it was there, at the river of Jabbok, that he wrestled with God. Jabbok, in Hebrew, means to flow. To empty. To pour out.

Jacob is at the river of surrender.

He must empty himself before he can move forward into God's promise and blessing.

Jacob also showed great determination. He was clinging to God and wouldn't let go. At the first sign of trouble, do we get in the fight or do we run and hide? When the blows come, will we give up or will we cling to God tighter than ever? God might "touch our hip," like he did with Jacob, so that we walk through life with a limp. But, imperfections and all, when we see a door God has opened for us, we must choose to walk through it. And that is when the blessings pour out. That is when we see the face of God.

What a moment God has brought me to. In Him, all things are made new. I see the open door, and I'm choosing to walk through. I surrender my life, and I will follow Him forward.

No comments :

Post a Comment