Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Justice and Reconciliation

Martin Luther King Jr. is one of my personal heros. His message of peace, love, equality, and justice rings true in my heart and soul. As I watched his iconic and history-changing "I have a dream" speech yesterday, I was moved to tears.
"I have a dream today! One day...little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and girl as sisters and brothers...I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; 'and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.'"
I am blessed to attend a church in the Twin Cities that believes the Church has a responsibility to extend works of compassion, mercy, and justice to all. We desire to change the face of the church and create a multi-ethnic, multi-racial Kingdom community by reconciling the people to God and one another.

I have also recently accepted a short-term position with our church's children's ministry to help create, plan for, and pilot a mid-week children's program. It is a joy and honor to serve alongside others in raising up a generation of Christ-followers who seek justice and reconciliation and continue to live out the dream of MLK and others who have stood up against injustice and followed a different path.

God has given me this completely unexpected and exciting opportunity to take on this role with my church's children's ministry, and I believe that it will play an important role in preparing me for the work that I will do in Uganda. I won't know what type of curriculum or teaching materials I will have access to until I am actually at the school in Mbarara. Even then, their school system and teaching methods are extremely different than what we use in the United States. I anticipate writing much of my own curriculum and developing my own lessons plans while teaching there. Taking on a leadership and director's role in our children's ministry this semester will give me a great opportunity to practice and refine my curriculum planning and organization skills.

My life verse is Micah 6:8 which says:

And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
I pray that this is evident throughout my minstry with children in the church and in Uganda...that the lost would be found and the hurting would be helped.
Justice. Love. Mercy. Reconciliation.

1 comment :