Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Sipi Falls Fills My Heart

From: Mbarara, Uganda To: Sipi
Mbarara to Sipi:
330 miles, a 12 hour drive
Some friends and I recently took a weekend away to travel to Sipi, Uganda, on the eastern border of Uganda, to experience the famous Sipi Falls for ourselves.

I've tried and tried to find the right words to share with you about this experience, but they're just not there. This whole trip was too fun, too relaxing, too encouraging, and too precious to adequately describe. There are some incredible pictures here, thanks to my dear friend, Danielle, that help show the glory and glee encompassed in this weekend away.
Unfortunately, there's no photo to show how my heart is brimming with appreciation for these ladies. There's no video that captures how a soul is moved to worship while standing in awe of creation and life and breath and community.

But I'll do my best.

I started this trip with a five hour drive to Kampala. The next day, after picking up our friends, some pastries and coffee, we traveled another 7 hours to get to Sipi. We were thrilled to finally arrive at Sipi River Lodge, which is a bit of heaven on earth. We five women, representing four nations, are united under one Kingdom cause. But sometimes, when you're working in the midst of dirt and despair or in an office or running a guest house day after day, you need a moment to catch your breath and be reminded of the beauty in this life. That's what this weekend was all about.


What is it about gorgeous, cozy rooms on the river's bank and delicious food shared over lantern-light that can refresh a spirit so thoroughly?



I love to fall asleep with white noise in the background, usually a fan. Now I know that a rushing, roaring waterfall outside my bedroom window is the key to sweet dreams and sound sleep. Bliss! And is there anything quite like opening your front door to see a waterfall first thing in the morning?

Kapsururu Falls, 58 meters

On our second day, we hiked the upper two of the three falls. Eight kilometers, five walking sticks, four hours, and hundreds of photos.


My favorite moment on the hike was standing at the base of this 88 meter waterfall getting drenched and utterly giddy with joy.

before
after

Even on the equator with banana plantations one plot over, these maize fields and cows remind me of my Midwest home.


Breathtaking panoramas at two thousand meters.



We saw the sunset on a mountaintop, watched the storm roll in, and saw the last of the three falls, which stands tall at 100 meters.

sunset to the west
waterfalls to the east

We enjoyed slow mornings over locally grown Arabica coffee and late nights under a twinkly dome with the occasional shooting star. We stood in awe of creation and slowed for a moment to appreciate the precious, little things.


We saw rainbows over mountains and rainbows over waterfalls.

Photo: Double rainbow. Forever faithful.

The Lord is abundantly good to us, and he delights in giving His children gifts. I was reminded of this when I got to see my first Ross's Turaco up close and personal. These birds are incredible creatures, like something from a Dr. Seuss book, but I'd yet to see one properly. Now I can say that I've not only seen one, but I've pet one. Yes, He's the giver of all good things.


  
Best of all were the dear friends to treasure these moments with. The five of us come from four different countries and are involved in very different ministries, but we're united in Christ and in our love for this country. Shared joy is a double joy!


No comments :

Post a Comment