Thursday, May 16, 2013

Just The Facts

I have posted before about why I am going back to Uganda, but I wanted to take this opportunity to share with some of my newer readers about this vision for ministry and maybe help clarify a few things for others, as well. 

Ministry-Related Questions

Why Uganda?
I've already spent one year serving in Uganda with AIM as a short-term missionary. While there, I learned that child abandonment is a significant issue in our community that is not currently being addressed at the root level. I learned that it is typically single, young mothers who are university students that wind up abandoning their baby shortly after birth. This can be attributed to many cultural factors that cause these women to feel very stigmatized, unloved, and under-supported.

What will you do there?
My desire is to develop a family discipleship program for single mothers to help support, educate, and nurture Christ-centered families in our community. My desire is to see families stay together and encourage these women to finish their formal education.

How will you do this?
         
Generally speaking, we will do this by partnering with local Ugandan churches/individuals who share the same desire to come alongside unwed mothers. 

More specifically, this ministry will involve working with these individuals to create and develop a family education curriculum and discipleship program that will include things like
  • teaching the mothers about basic child development
  • teaching about health, safety, and nutrition
  • offering child care while mothers attend their classes
  • accountability for spiritual growth, Bible study, and biblical counseling
  • reconciling broken relationships
Discipling and training the Ugandans I work alongside will also be a focus so the ministry can eventually become sustainable and completely church/community-led. We want to empower the Ugandan leaders and these young women to also go and make disciples of Christ.

Logistics-Related Questions

How long will you be there?
Two years. 

Will you go with a team?
I will be traveling to Africa with other AIM missionaries from the States, but I am being sent as an individual missionary. Once in Uganda, I will be a part of an AIM team.

When do you leave?
July 11th is my hopeful departure date, but I must be 100% financially supported by June 17th in order to be cleared to go.

How much money do you need to raise?
Currently, I still need 8% of my one-time support and 55% of my monthly support.


Where does the money go?
Check out this store I've created on my blog to see some of my specific one-time and monthly expenses. There, you can "purchase" something on my behalf!

Additionally, check out this publication created by AIM detailing exactly how missionary finances work and where the money goes.

How can I give?
I'm so glad you asked! Not everyone is called to go overseas, but we all have a role to play in building the kingdom and making disciples of Jesus. 

It's very easy to give a one-time gift or to set up monthly giving on-line at AIM's giving site.
Please contact me if you'd like more information on how to mail a check.

No comments :

Post a Comment