Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Excellent Music and Ties That Bind

Today I'm borrowing my friend Sara's words because she said exactly what I want to say, and she said it so beautifully:

On Sunday, "...I had the honor of singing in the retirement concert of a beloved high school choir director. In the 24 years that this teacher taught at my alma mater, he has inspired thousands of students with powerful works of music. In our very own version of Mr. Holland's Opus, we got to spend the weekend practicing some of the most beautiful music he ever assigned and performing it for his greatest fans: students, alumni, teachers, faculty, staff, and community members. During the reception, a colleague read some of his accomplishments in the high school music program. He truly was fantastic. He dreamed big and encouraged his students to perform pieces the likes of which are normally reserved for college choirs. While I was in high school he pushed us to perform (and perform well) such fantastic and challenging pieces as Chichester Psalms, Handel's Messiah- including recitatives and solos, and pieces by Eric Whitacre, to name only a few. The entire event was a remarkable reflection on a passionate career spent moving the hearts, minds, and souls of countless individuals. We should each be lucky to find ourselves in work about which we are half so passionate. "

After six years, it was such a treat to sing with these ladies again!
They continue to bless and inspire me.

My brother, sister, and I all sang in a choir together for the first time.

No comments :

Post a Comment