Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Time Flies! {2012}

January
My teammates and I rang in the New Year at a local hotel's celebration, complete with live music, dancing, and fireworks.

Some of us took a trip out the Queen Elizabeth National Park for a safari day, and the rest of the team joined us the next day for a team retreat at the most scenic pool I've ever seen in my life.

The biggest thing to happen in January was opening myself to the undeniable realization that this year that I've spent in Uganda isn't the end goal. God hasn't placed Uganda on my heart for so many years for me to spend one year serving on the mission field and then go back to life as usual. I began to accept that He was calling me to something bigger. Much bigger.

February
I continued teaching Dade, full time now that I wasn't at the local school. Although this wasn't what I planned to do in Uganda, it became a huge blessing and gave me so much joy. It provided me with more flexibility in my schedule that allowed me to build relationships in the community, spend time with other missionary families living in Mbarara, and explore possibilities for serving here in the future.

I was honestly terrified at the thought of pursuing long-term missions and was often overwhelmed with the realization of just how big God's plan was for my life. Sometimes it was a joyful realization and other times it shook me to the core. But I kept seeking the Lord, praying for direction, and beginning to really dream about the possibilities for working with young children in Uganda.

March
We had an unexpected three weeks off of school when the Skinners went back to the U.S. for a family emergency. While we missed having them in Mbarara, I took advantage of the extra free time and took another quick trip down to Kigali where I learned more about the international Christian school where some AIM missionaries were serving. Then a friend from Kigali came stay with us for the weekend and experience a little bit of what life is like in Mbarara. I'm sure she'll never accidentally get tear-gassed in Kigali!

I met an older Ugandan women who I quickly discovered shares my heart of hearts for children. Laura moved from stranger to acquaintance to cherished friend in a matter of days. She immediately impressed me with her openness and love for the Lord.

I also traveled to Kampala to visit some babies' homes and pick the brain of another AIM missionary who has been working with vulnerable children in Uganda for many years. It was an educational experience, and I appreciated the chance to make those contacts. The highlight of my time there was seeing the girl I sponsor who has grown from a darling little girl into a beautiful young woman since the last time I saw her in 2008.

This was a month of refining the dreams I had begun to dream based on my new knowledge and understanding of what's happening with children in Uganda. It was also a time of wrestling with the realities of what it would mean for my life if I committed to long-term missions. I was constantly reminding myself of God's promises and enduring love for me.

April
I spent a lot of time listening to challenging sermons and studying the Bible. I felt desperate to saturate my mind with God's truth and appreciated the ample free time in my schedule to do so.

Trust and obedience became the most challenging and important words in my life. The two things I felt God continually calling me to, and the two things I feared the most...

May
I was blessed to go on two separate trips to beautiful locations that showcased Uganda's wildlife and landscapes. The first was a women's retreat for the missionary women in our community at Lake Bunyonyi. The second was a field trip to Lake Mburo with the Skinner family and Kelsea. Both trips provided great opportunities to further relationships, learn, and encourage one another!

When I finished teaching Dade for the day, I would often spend my afternoons at Laura's house. It was in those times that our friendship deepened as we shared our lives with one another, laughing and crying and telling secrets. Her life a beautiful picture of the Gospel at work! When you look at Laura, you can't help but be attracted and drawn to the Jesus in her.

June
We finished school on a great note and celebrated our accomplishments!

Some of my team mates and I rafted the Nile River before attending our AIM Central Region annual conference in Jinja. It was at conference that I was so encouraged to continue in the good work of going out and making disciples. Africa isn't the easiest or most desirable place to live, but the Lord loves His people here and calls them by name. He desires to be in a saving and sanctifying relationship with them and to see them resting secure in His promises as they too learn to go into all the earth and make disciples. Talking with and hearing from other AIM leaders and missionaries helped me to gain more perspective and encouraged me to keep seeking God's desires above all else.

No comments :

Post a Comment