Friday, June 15, 2012

Celebrate Life

Yesterday I celebrated my 23rd birthday. Hard to believe really!

I never could've guessed, dreamed, imagined, or even hoped that this is what my life would look like at 23. But the Lord knew all along. He ordained each one of my days and worked so mightily and wonderfully in my life to bring me to where I am today. He changed me and grew me in order to prepare me for the past year of my life.

And yesterday I got to celebrate life with a few of the people who have enriched it so greatly this year!

I couldn't think of a better way to begin my day than dropping by to see Laura and the babies. They are always a bright spot in my day!


Afterward, I went into town, and Martha treated me to a birthday manicure and a delicious chapati. The "firsts" here are endless... my first birthday chapati! I also had a birthday package from my family waiting for me at the post office. The timing couldn't have been more perfect! You just never know with the African mail system, but they've really impressed me this year.

I also received the most wonderful phone call from Dade! Their family is flying home today to begin their three month furlough, and we already miss them so much. It was a treat to chat with him because I'm sure going to miss that kid.

But certainly the highlight of the day involved my dear team mates! They threw me a birthday party complete with pizza, cake, games, and prizes. In my opinion, the best kind of party is one that I don't have to plan, so I loved it. Our team has become like family to me, and it was a blessing to celebrate with them!


I've been introduced to so much British culture this year, and one thing I've learned is that the British know how to party and will find any excuse to have a party. So Zillah was in charge of preparing a hilarious British party game called "pass the parcel" in which a wrapped packed is passed around the circle. When the music stops, whoever is holding the package has to unwrap one layer where they'll find a prize as well as a dare. In order to keep the prize, they have to complete the dare. Some of these included wearing a chicken outfit, doing a headstand, pushing a matchbox across the floor with your nose, and giving a speech about me without hesitation or repetition. Needless to say, there was so much laughter involved!




And that was probably my favorite gift of all. Laughter. Real, true laughter is something I adore, and there was plenty of that last night!


Year twenty-two was an incredible time of growth, change, adventure, and learning to serve more graciously and love more deeply. I honestly can't imagine what year twenty-three has in store, but God knows exactly what the coming 365 364 days will hold. Undoubtedly, there will be many more surprises and twists in the road, but I trust and pray that they'll all serve to bring Him more glory and to make me more holy for the sake of His eternal kingdom.
"...I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me."
Philippians 3:12

1 comment :

  1. I can't believe you liked the laughter more than the chapati.

    ReplyDelete