Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Where It's Always Summer

The other day Kelsea and I were in town doing some errands when we decided that ice cream would be a wonderful treat for our walk home. We went to a favorite, local grocery store and found some single serving cups of ice cream. As we were walking down the sidewalk wearing sunglasses, skirts, and sandals enjoying  our cold treat, Kelsea said, "Ah, what a perfect summer day."

Only it was the end of September.

I loved growing up in a part of the United States that has four distinct seasons, but I'll be honest, I'm not going to miss winter this year. Minnesota winters for the past four years have turned me off to snow, ice, and sub-zero temperatures for awhile. I'm happy to be living on the sunny equator where it's always in the 70s or 80s, and we only have two seasons, rainy and dry!

While I won't miss winter, I've found that I do miss fall. I see pictures from back home and notice that trees are blazing with colors, sweatshirts are out of storage, apples are being picked at the orchard, and my favorite fall treats, like pumpkin spice muffins and lattes are once again in stores.

As much I miss those things this year, I am surrounded by Ugandan substitutes that are just as satisfying and wonderful in different ways! Rather than admiring the beauty of fall colors on trees, I get to marvel at the flowers blooming all around our front porch and the endless colors in the central market.   



Rather than wearing sweatshirts and jeans, I can wear skirts and beaded sandals made here in Mbarara. I can sit out on our front porch reading in the sunshine almost any afternoon I please.




Rather than picking apples from Wilson's Apple Orchard, I can pick avocados from my yard.






Rather than enjoying pumpkin flavored treats, I eat pineapple and bananas that put all others to shame. Flavors that simply can't be reproduced!
 
 
 
While there are days that I miss those fall favorites, I'm fully enjoying all the seasonal delights here in Uganda, too. And while it's dumping snow up north, I'll be happily soaking up the sunshine!


No comments :

Post a Comment