Sunday, December 1, 2013

Uglish

(originally posted on 2/1/12, with some additions)

Here are some very commonly used Ugandan-English words and phrases... also known as Uglish.

Nice time. = Have a nice time/Have a good day.
Long time! = It's been a long time since I've seen you!
You’ve been lost./ You are lost. = I haven't seen you in awhile. Where have you been?
Disturbing me = bothering me
Pick = get (pick him from school, pick the phone) 
Are you having…? = Do you have…?
Such a… = a compliment (“He’s such a guy,” …the adjectives are left out)
Short call = going to the bathroom (#1)
Balance = your change from a purchase
Move = walk
Shift = move from one living accommodation to another
Where do you stay? = Where do you live?
Extend = Move over, make room
I am used. = I am used to it. It's normal for me.
Let me come./I’m coming. = I’m leaving now, but I will be back. 
Smart = put together, well-dressed, good-looking
They are over/finished. = Something is gone or out of stock (“The eggs are over for today.”)
She/he =  interchangeable pronouns used for either gender
You are fat. = it's a compliment…
She is called… = Her name is…
Digging = farming and gardening
Vernacular = local language
Big man = rich, important person
Somehow = slightly, occasionally, can imply doubt (“The water heater is working somehow.”)
A push = to walk with someone for some distance (“I will give you a push to the road.”)
Ehhhh =  yes, okay
Beep me. = let the phone ring once or twice before hanging up to signal that you want the person to call you back
Maids = bridesmaids
Snaps = photos
Slippers = flip flops
Chips = fries
Crisps = chips
Sweet = candy; can also mean "tasty" or "delicious" ("The meat and rice are sweet.")
Ka = small or trivial ("Where is my ka pen?") (comes from the Runyankole word kakye, which means "small.")
My stomach is paining. = My stomach hurts.
I am reaching. = I am almost there.
Sure?! = Really? Is it true?!
Are we together? = Do you understand?
I am fearing them. = I am afraid of them.
I'm leaving now now. = I'm leaving right now.
Slope = turn ("Slope left at the corner.")
Just here = right here ("Slope left just here.")
Assist me. = Give me. ("Assist me with 5,000.")
I have ever... = I have... ("I have ever been there.")
Keep = to put away ("Keep your sweater in your desk.")
He can always win me at that game. = He can always beat me at that game. ("Beat" is only used in a very literal way to mean physical abuse.)
We go. = Let's go.
It's okay. = Yes.

No comments :

Post a Comment