Friday, March 1, 2013

Preschool Presentation

A few weeks ago the preschool where I teach was focusing on "Friends Around the World." This was an opportunity to introduce other cultures, languages, and lifestyles to the children.

One teacher presented on Ethiopia (her son was born there), a parent of one of my students grew up in South Africa and had some wonderful and interesting things to show us, and I got to share a bit about living in Uganda.

Because 3- and 4-year-old children are still navigating and developing an understanding of the world right in front of them, it's hard for them to imagine people living far away in a place so different from what they know.
It's hard to imagine "the other side of the globe" when driving four hours to grandma's and grandpa's house seems far, far away.
It's difficult to even understand the concept of the world and a globe when conversations sound like this:
Boy (hold a magnifying glass and looking at the globe): "Hey! Where in the world do I live?"
Me: "We live right here in this state called Iowa."
Boy: "Yeah! I live in Iowa!"
Other Children: "Me too!" "No, I live in Iowa!" "Not me. I live in Coralville."
The imaginary life of preschoolers is powerful, yet the lines between reality and fantasy are still very blurry. They often think that what's happening in their heads is actually happening in the outside world (That's why dreams can be so scary and magic tricks so magical!). Their ability to perceive their world is proficient, but analyzing and reflecting on those perceptions is a skill that takes much longer to develop.

Knowing this about child development, I brought in lots of concrete objects the children could see, feel, and otherwise experience. I attempted to engage many of their senses and challenged them to problem-solve and reflect on their own experiences.

We talked about the fun, wild animals that live in Uganda and how you don't even have to go to the zoo to see them! We made predictions based on clues to guess which animals I brought with me, used comparative language to talk about the physical attributes of these stuffed animals, counted them, and made and extended patterns.

We counted to five in Runyankole (emwe, ibiri, ishatu, ina, itaano) and learned how to greet our friends (Agandi).  

Because many of the preschoolers have younger siblings, I also talked about how there are no baby strollers in Uganda. I told them that Ugandan mamas carry their babies on the back to keep them close and safe while they do chores and go shopping.



I brought some fabric to show how the mamas tie their baby to their back. We substituted with a teddy bear, and the children enjoyed getting a turn to wear the "baby." They agreed that the baby felt close and safe and thought the babies would probably enjoy riding with their moms.



What a joy it was to share something so near and dear to my heart with some of my favorite little people!

1 comment :

  1. I love this, Carolyn! You are so gifted in teaching young people!

    ReplyDelete