Thursday, October 11, 2012

Home Is Where?

She said, speaking from personal experience,
"That's the problem with loving your life.
There is always going to be something that you miss."

These words my sweet friend offered up as encouragement couldn't be more true in this season of life.

My heart has never had roots in so many places at once. I'm completely enjoying being back in my hometown again, and I'm so thankful for and blessed by my friends here (old and new!) and the many opportunities to serve. God has provided in ways I never would've dreamed, and I wouldn't ever want to miss out on these opportunities!

But I seriously miss living in Minnesota. I got to visit one of my wonderful former roommates in the Twin Cities recently, and it felt like home. It felt so normal to be back. Being with her up there just felt right. The Twin Cities quickly grew on me over the four years I lived there, and I always pictured myself moving back if I were to come live in the States again. It's where I have all of my professional connections, where I became a part of a beautiful church community, and where I made my home.

And all the while, not a day goes by that I don't think about my precious friends in Mbarara and the incredible life God gave me there. I'm thankful for blogs and Facebook and ministry updates so that I can follow some of the big things happening there now. It's a life that takes place in something that can feel like a completely different world, but it's a life that I expect to return to one day.

They say home is where the heart is.

That doesn't mean much to me anymore. My heart has many homes.

They're all comfortable.
They're all full of wonderful people.
And I miss them whenever I'm not home.

winnie the pooh

No comments :

Post a Comment