Monday, February 27, 2012

Mistaken for Maturi

This is a conversation I had today while I was in the local Forex Bureau changing Ugandan shillings into Rwandan francs (for a quick trip back to Kigali on Wednesday):

Lady: "Where are you from?"
Me: "I'm from America."
Lady: "Ohh..."
(Lady speaking to her co-worker in Runyankole)
Lady: "You are from Mexico?"
Me: "No, I'm from the United States. Mexico is a different country."
Lady: "But you are looking like Maturi! From 'Don't Mess With an Angel.'"
Me: "Really? I look like a soap opera star?"
Lady: "Seriously. You resemble her. Your height, your what, your what. You look just like her!"
Co-Worker: "Maybe she is your sister?"

This went on for another few minutes as they discussed how much I look like this actress and laughing when I offered to give them my autograph. You wouldn't believe how popular Spanish soap operas are here!

So what do you think? It doesn't help that most Ugandans think all white people look alike and are related, but could I be mistaken for Mexican actress Maite Perroni?

  

Is that me?!

No comments :

Post a Comment