Sunday, December 11, 2011

O, Come Let Us Adore Him

"Listen to the old, old story
Of the power of death undone
By an infant born of glory
Son of God, Son of Man"
-Andrew Peterson

Many people told me to expect homesickness during the holiday season and for culture shock to reach a new phase at this time of year, but I'm happy to say that I've been enjoying the Christmas season more than ever living in Uganda! This weekend my roommates, Kelsea and Martha, and I have been listening to Christmas music, decorated a tree, frosted sugar cookies, read the Christmas story in Luke chapters 1 and 2, and even went to the pool to soak up some sunshine!

Of course I am missing my family and our Christmas traditions and missing the extra time spent with my friends. I miss the sparkling beauty of a fresh snowfall (although don't miss the freezing temps, ice, and extra work that comes with a snow storm!). I miss the warm, crackling fire places and the twinkling lights and festive decorations around town. And I most certainly miss Caribou's peppermint mochas!

But without the typical overwhelming messages of consumerism coming at me from all directions and the rushed pace of life during the holiday season, I have been able to spend ample time reflecting on the story of Christmas. With all the distractions of shopping, parties, baking, and decorating aside, I can more clearly see the holiness of this holiday. I've been reminded of the weightiness of God's glory and the power in His plan. I marvel at how the birth of Christ has been foretold since the beginning of time and how generations passed on to generations the prophesies of a coming King until he made himself nothing and arrived in the flesh. The King of kings born in the lowest of places.The Creator of all coming to seek and save the lost. 

"...He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
   nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by mankind,
   a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
   he was despised, and we held him in low esteem."
Isaiah 53:2-3 

I stand in awe of the way that God set the heavens and earth in motion according to his perfect will and how Christ came to live among men at the fullness of time. At a time when the way had been prepared for him, countless prophesies could be fulfilled through His coming, and hearts were desperate and open to receiving the message of the Good News. 

I've also been considering Mary and Joseph in ways I never have before. What a humbled and selfless servant Mary was as she carried the Savior of the world in her womb and in her arms, yet she never took pride in the fact that God chose her to raise His son. A women full of grace.
"And Mary said:
'My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed, 
for the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is his name.'"
Luke 1:46-49 

And noble Joseph, a model example of a husband who leads and protects his family at all costs. A man who set aside his own pride, humbled himself, and followed the Lord above all else.

Did Mary and Joseph feel the weight and hope of glory as they held their baby boy?
Did they feel as if He was really the one holding them?
Did they wonder how they were expected to teach and train up the Promised One?
Did their hearts magnify the Lord and wrench with pain at the same time when they recited Isaiah's prophesies of old and realized it was their child who would be pierced for our transgressions and crushed for our sins?

I'm thankful for the opportunity to experience the holidays in a different country and culture and grateful that the message of the Gospel transcends culture and time. Jesus came that we might have life and have it to the full by entering into a saving relationship with him.

Let every heart prepare him room, and let every soul magnify the Lord!

"I celebrate the day
that you were born to die
so one day I could live
and pray for you to save my life."
-Relient K

No comments :

Post a Comment