Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Laughter is Good for the Soul

Laughter is such an important part of my days! When I'm not able to genuinely laugh on a regular basis I only feel half-alive, so I'm thankful to be living with girls I share so many jokes with, working alongside team members that provide endless entertainment and witty comments, and building relationships with people in the community who make me smile. Here are a few things that have proved to be extra funny in the past few weeks!

  • Teaching our Ugandan friends how to play kickball in our front yard. I'm pretty sure I spent more time doubled over laughing than anything else!
  • Having a dance party with some university girls in our living room. They taught us a muganda dance of the Baganda people and a traditional Banyankole dance about the Ankole cows, which are famous for coming from this area of Uganda. We taught them how to line dance and two step to country music.
  • Making up games at home with Martha and Kelsea. We invent hours of entertainment for ourselves, especially when power is out. "I hope Martha...."  "Would you rather...?"
  • Frequent cross-cultural miscommunication between team members. "Seb, are those new pants?" "Hey...That's inappropriate!"
  • Dade. He makes me laugh every day! "I think Obama would be please with this."  "Des Moines... Hmm.. That sounds like a really bouncy place. Des Moooiiiiinnne! Do they have a lot of trampolines there?"
  • Spontaneous dancing after team meeting. Cha-Cha Slide, Cupid Shuffle, Electric Slide...
  • Realizing that the boda drivers in Nkokenjeru know us by name and inform our boda drivers, Charles and Godwin, if they see us around town or walking on the road.
  • Sophie's endless antics, like making fake teeth from cassava peel and making crazy faces as she tells hilarious stories.
  • Calling teammates the instant power comes back on just to share the joy with more people
  • Joking that we should drive around and look at the Christmas lights in town, which would consist of only one teammate's apartment.

No comments :

Post a Comment