Saturday, November 12, 2011

Suddenly in Second

Anyone who knows me well knows that I'm passionate about teaching kindergarten. It's my happy place! The perfect world between play-based early education and the more typical academic pursuits.

A couple weeks before I left the States, I was asked if I would be willing to help homeschool the 2nd grade son of our team leaders. Over the summer, God gave me a desire to be a blessing to the long-term missionaries in my time here, so even though it was never in my plans or desires to teach outside of Ugandan schools, I accepted right away. If it truly was a need and an opportunity to help Joel and Jill, I didn't want to miss out! And that's how I suddenly became a second grade teacher. A grade in which I never pictured myself.

Now meet Dade. He's my hilarious, energetic, and delightful student! He makes me laugh every day, and I'm honored to be a part of his education 3 days a week.


Because I only have one student, we're able to do plenty of fun and some-what elaborate projects that relate to our learning. For example, when I introduced map skills, he made an edible map of his compound.


After learning the names and locations of the continents and oceans, he made a paper mache globe.


After doing a shared writing experience together, Dade completed the writing process on his own and wrote a story about catching grasshoppers and the drama that ensued.


Although, this teaching opportunity came as a surprise, I am so thankful for the time that I spend with Dade! It's my hope and prayer that at the end of this year Dade has grown and developed not only in academic areas but also in his love for and understanding of God and the world.

1 comment :

  1. Enjoying your posts and updates Carolyn! Grace and Peace and blessings to you and all, and your assignment in Uganda!

    Mark Aamot

    ReplyDelete