Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Expect the Unexpected

You never know what each day will bring here.
Unusual is usual, and you should always expect the unexpected.

Last Thursday afternoon, I accidentally broke the glass in one of our lanterns while trying to fix the wick. Because our transformer had been taken down, yet again, we were without power, and I knew we were going to need that lantern in the evening. I had just arrived home from teaching at Ruharo when it happened, so I wasn’t eager to go back out. I wanted to get the errand over with though so that I could enjoy the rest of my afternoon off. It was another warm and sunny day, and I was looking forward to sitting outside and reading. I called my ever-loyal boda driver, Godwin, and he was at our gate to pick me up in less than 3 minutes.

Finding a safe and reliable boda driver was one of my goals from the moment we arrived in Mbarara. I was thrilled when I found Godwin a month or so ago. He’s the uncle to two darling girls who attend school at Ruharo, one of whom is in a class I currently teach. He faithfully drives them to school each morning, brings them lunch in the afternoon, and picks them up in the evening. Most days, he’ll pass me walking home after school and give me “a lift” back to our house on his way back to the boda stage.

 I explained my lantern situation to Godwin when he arrived at our house, to which he was very kindly sympathetic, and asked him to take me down to a market/shopping area near to where we live. He dropped me off at the entrance to the market, and I told him that I would try to be quick and meet him back there in a few minutes. After wandering up and down a couple aisles, I still hadn’t found what I needed. At that moment, Godwin appeared and asked if I needed help.  Of course, he was able to discuss with the shop keepers in Runyankole and found exactly what I needed in a very short amount of time. I was so grateful!

Soon we were on our way back home, but it was no longer warm and sunny. As is usual in the rainy season, dark clouds had appeared quickly, and it was beginning to sprinkle. We were less than 5 minutes away from home and figured we would make it before the rain without a problem. We were wrong. A minute later, the rain was coming down steadily. Godwin asked me if I wanted to proceed. I said yes and that I didn’t mind getting wet. Another minute passed, and it was now pouring. The rain was stinging my face as we dodged massive puddles. Godwin again asked if I wanted to proceed. We were coming up to the deserted boda stage, which is under a large tree, so I said that we should probably stop. He slowed down, and I figured that we would wait it out under the tree, but instead he pulled off to the left and into compound with many small houses across from the stage. He told me to go stand under the overhang of the roof while he parked his boda.

Godwin hustled over to join me under the shelter and informed me that his sister lived a few doors down. Her name was Gloria, and she is the mother of the girls who attend school at Ruharo. As if on cue, Gloria came out from around the corner and, with a big smile, motioned for us to come inside. It was at this point that I thought to myself, “Wow… this is not how I pictured my afternoon going, and this is not a situation I ever thought I would find myself in.” I was thrilled, though, at the opportunity to meet a close relative of Godwin’s who also happened to be the mother of one of my students! I’ve admired the little houses on this charming compound for quite some time, but I never imagined that I would get to go inside one! It was all very unexpected and exciting.

For the next forty-five minutes as the rain continued to pour, Gloria, Godwin, and I had a delightful and lively conversation about everything from Runyankole, to April Fool’s day, to how surprised Gloria’s children would be that evening when they found out that their teacher had visited their home! As I sat on their couch, soaking wet and slightly chilly, in the small front sitting room with my boda driver and his sister, I thought to myself “There is nowhere else I’d rather be this afternoon.”

These are the moments that I truly cherish. The unexpected blessings. The mundane tasks that turn into something beautifully meaningful. The relationships built and the hearts behind the faces. The laughter shared and realizing that you have a friend in someone who was just an acquaintance a few weeks ago. A turn of events, orchestrated only by God, that lead to open doors and opportunities to show love to those in our community.

There are the moments that I hold in my heart.

No comments :

Post a Comment