Monday, August 8, 2011

In Theory


I've been reading through this national curriculum book trying to learn and understand as much as I can. I wanted to see the scope and sequence of education in early childhood and the primary grades and compare it to what we tend to use in the U.S.

This book covers English Language, Integrated Science, Social Studies, and Mathematics for primary 1 (kindergarten) through primary 6. Because I probably won't be teaching higher than primary 1 at the school, I've been focusing on studying objectives and themes for that level the most. I've really enjoyed and appreciated what I've read so far.

They use a thematic approach to teaching most subjects and integrate related English vocabulary words into each lesson.
I feel that the objectives are reasonable and I appreciate that they focus on making the curriculum relevant to student's lives here.
They integrate learning applicable life skills and want to develop life-long learners who have problem solving skills.
It appears that many hands-on techniques and authentic learning experiences are encouraged, such as growing plants in order to observe life cycles and how things change and playing active games to learn (English) names of body parts and to practice appropriate greetings.
They say that cummulative as well as a variety of summative assessments are to be used to evaluate student work and progress.
They acknowlwdge all aspects of literacy: reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
And I nod my head in agreement and smile when I read that "the specific aim (for reading) is to enhance learning with pleasure, pronunciation, and comprehension," emphasis mine (Uganda Primary School Curriculum).

Same.

I've found many pieces of this curriculum syllabus to be enlightening and helpful in learning small bits and pieces of the culture.
For example, some of the English vocabulary words the children are to learn when learning about the home are jerrycan, pestle, mortar, candle, and grinding stone.
When learning about common foods they learn maize, groundnuts, yams, sorghum, soya-beans, and sim-sim.
There have also been some parts that make me laugh out loud. In English Language, unit 7, the topic is transport... learning about different means of transportation. In unit 8, the topic is accidents. Go figure. (Pray for me as I learn how to ride bodas and use public transportation this week!!)

Different.

This is all great in theory, but from what I hear and understand schools don't necessarily follow these national guidelines. Each individual school can choose what they want to to teach and how and when they'll teach it. So while everything looks great on paper, I have yet to see how it will play out...

"Teaching to the test" is a common and unfortunate problem within the U.S. education system since No Child Left Behind was put in place, and apparently there are similar issues here, as well. Because of how the education system is set up, all children must take a standardized test in order to qualify and advance on to secondary school (a privilege that many most do not acquire). From what I've heard, much of the instruction is geared toward helping student's achieve well on this test. Which sounds fine in passing, but when you realize that essential skills are not being taught simply because they're not on the test, we begin to see the problems more clearly.

Same.

According to Uganda Primary School Curriculum, because of a plethora of outside influences, "...the majority of Ugandan children do not have the opportunity to proceed beyond the primary school, let alone completing the primary school level." This fact has a huge impact on students' attendance and achievment in school.

Children face so much here on a daily basis. Even a simple thing like getting to school can be a danger or large time commitment. They have many other duties to do at home, and by the time they get home and help with chores, it;s dark and they lack sufficient lighting to do their homework.

Things that we tend to take for granted, such as a high school or college degree or even a coherent and consistent educational experience, are extreme privileges here. I have so much to learn about the education system and specifically about how Ruharo School runs. I'm eager to come alongside the Ugandan teachers so that I can learn from them and gain a deeper understanding of the culture and what it means to be a child and what it means to be a teacher in Uganda.

Please pray that I might be an effective teacher dedicated to learning all that I can about how to support the children and teachers.

No comments :

Post a Comment