Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanks Giving

I'm thankful when I'm sweeping up dirt and sand from the floors of my apartment for the fourth time this week
because it means there has been plenty of coming and going.

I'm thankful when, one by one, all my plans for the day get canceled
because it means I have an opportunity to practice flexibility.

I'm thankful when power goes out
because it means I have power in the first place.

I'm thankful when I'm walking around town on the hot, sweaty days
because it means I am healthy enough to do so.

I'm thankful when it's cool and rainy, even on laundry day,
because it means people's crops are growing and they won't go hungry this season.

I'm thankful when I have to call our landlord for the fifth time this week because my water keeps going out
because it means I have a landlord who cares to help.

I'm thankful when I have a pile of dirty dishes to wash
because it means I have more than enough food and beautiful community to share with.

I'm thankful when I can sit on the floor and cry with a friend whose heart is breaking
because it means our friendship is genuine.

I'm thankful when I'm wiping up baby pee from the living room floor
because it means I'm graced with the presence of babies and mamas in my home.

I'm thankful when I'm trekking up and down the hills of Mbarara
because it means there are people I'm on my way to see.

I'm thankful when my backside goes numb from sitting at church for hours on end
because it means God called me to a place where we can worship freely and openly.

I'm thankful when my clothes are all stretched out and faded
because it means someone is helping with the hand-washing.

I'm thankful when my cooking gas runs out in the middle of baking
because it means I can give my boda driver some more business.

source

No comments :

Post a Comment