Thursday, April 3, 2014

Road Trip

Yesterday, some team mates, Sevious (a friend from church), and I traveled to Kibito to visit our friend Doreen. She and her family recently moved away, and one week ago she gave birth to her second child and first son! We were eager to visit Doreen in her new home and meet the new baby.

Kibito is a small trading center about 25km outside of Fort Portal, and I couldn't find it on any map. Turns out Google does fail you sometimes. I know it's about 220km between Mbarara and Kibito, so here's the best map I could do for you:



Not a day goes by where I don't think to myself, "Uganda is such a beautiful place." This particular stretch of road (if you can still call the pothole-filled, washed away section through the National Park a "road") offered some incredible views!

The tea plantations.



Queen Elizabeth National Park.


The Rwenzori Mountains.


3 hours and 20 minutes later, we arrived in Kibito and found Doreen's place. It was a joyful reunion!
And now what you've all been waiting for... Meet Jeremy! He was just one week old on the day we visited.

Big sister, Jemima, and I admiring her little brother.


Beautiful mama.


Sweet friend.

Our little road trip took us straight through Queen Elizabeth National Park, which meant we had some fun wildlife spottings on the way. Baboons, kob, elephants, and even a lone water buffalo:




It was a brief trip but so special to see Doreen and celebrate the safe arrival of Jeremy!

L to R: Paul, Di, Jemima, me, Sevious, Doreen, Helen (mother-in-law)

No comments :

Post a Comment