Friday, February 28, 2014

Kisoro Photo Dump

A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to travel to Kisoro, Uganda with a few other teammates. Kisoro is a five hour drive from Mbarara and is as far southwest as you can get without crossing into Rwanda or DR Congo. It's truly one of the most scenic and lovely parts of the country with its chilly weather and stunning views.

The first half of the drive from Mbarara to Kisoro was more pothole than road. 
The second half of the drive was beautifully paved but constant hairpin turns up mountainsides. I was thankful for my prescription-strength motion sickness meds. 


I was also thankful for views like this. I had a kink in my neck for a week after our trip from looking out the window for ten hours. But seriously. Look at this!


I love these patchwork quilt hills


Since my teammates had some meetings with the bishop, we stayed at the diocese guest house.
walking up to the guest house

the guest house... complete with electricity and hot showers!

the view from the guest house... three volcanos

We saw some incredible sunrises and sunsets.




We went on a walk, up a hill of course, and found another amazing view.



 Our trip home wasn't without it's own set of wonders and laughs. Of course, there were the views. Which never get old.


Can you see why they call this the Impenetrable Forest?

And there was the local wildlife.



i'll never get over the national bird, the crested crane

 And the local drive-thru experience. There are some small towns along the way where one can purchase certain types of produce in bulk at very low cost. All you have to do is pull off the road, and your vehicle is instantly surrounded by people working hard to sell you buckets of carrots and piles of cauliflower.




We came home with two basins of onions and a trunk full of pineapples.



It was a great and productive trip. I enjoyed seeing another part of the country and meeting people I've been hearing about for quite some time. It was my first trip to Kisoro, but I don't expect it to be my last!

No comments :

Post a Comment