Sunday, August 25, 2013

Home Sweet Home

Welcome to my flat! That's "apartment" for all us Americans. Since not all of you will be able to come visit during my time in Uganda (Ha! Who am I kidding... But seriously. You're all invited!), I thought I'd give you a little tour of my place that I'm learning to call home. 

I'm staying in a complex of twelve single-bedroom apartments occupied by a great mix of nationals and ex-pats. There are missionaries (of various varieties and religions), NGO workers, a Ugandan government official, a local Indian family, a Swiss couple, and some others who I have yet to meet. If you've lived in an apartment building before, then you know the many pros and cons of this type of living situation.


Cons: Though we have concrete walls and floors, you can hear everything that happens in the entire complex. And I mean everything. All the coming and going, the singing and radios, the flushing and washing, the crying babies and shouting laughter.

Pros: It feels safe to be on a compound with a day guard, a night guard, and so many other people. 
I don't have to worry about hiring someone to cut the grass or tend to the landscaping.
I don't have to remember to turn on and off the security lights each night (and pay for the extra electricity they use). 
Plus I have some great neighbors who are never more than a-walk-in-my-slippers away! It's easy to pop over to get advice; ask for help fixing my giant, sand-filled water filter (Thanks, Bron!); borrow some ginger or an egg; and share a meal with friends. 

My 2nd night in the flats, Bron, my Australian neighbor,
 invited us AIM ladies over for dinner.
 (unfortunately, Cheryl couldn't make it)

Okay! So I live in an apartment building. Onward.

Let's start with my favorite room! My bedroom is in the back right corner of the apartment. Unfortunately, it has little storage, so "hire a carpenter" is still on my to-do list.


This is the view from my bedroom's doorway: the bathroom sink area (with the bathroom to the left) and the kitchen.


My little kitchen area, complete with awkwardly high counters for a short person such as myself.

The view from my kitchen window.


Zooming out now... here is my kitchen again and part of the living area. The door on the right leads out to a small balcony where I can hang some laundry and where I'm attempting to grow some basil and jalapenos (read: pesto and salsa).


Now looking to the right... And just to the right of this desk is the front door. Actually, the only door.


Standing by the desk and looking into the back of the apartment....


... and looking into the living room area. Please try not to dwell on the fact that everything is beige. This was not by choice... trust me! I rolled the carpet out today and stood back in horror at so much beige. I almost rolled it right back up, wishing for my painted, green concrete floor again.  Hoping for a face-lift, soon.


How is your mental picture of my sweet, little place? Something like this?


Here's what you probably didn't picture as I was so careful to not get this junk in my photographs:
my clothes drying

a pile of stuff that I have yet to find places for

cleaning items and jerry cans for water
hidden behind my bathroom door

Now you've seen it all, but you're still always welcome to come see it for yourself!

1 comment :