Sunday, September 9, 2012

I Do What I Do With Deep Conviction

It's been awhile since I've written, but I haven't forgotten about y'all. In fact, it has been just the opposite!

Over the past month I've been able to reconnect with some of my wonderful friends and faithful supporters, share about my incredible and challenging experience in Uganda with one of my supporting churches, and network with some people about how to connect with Ugandan families and African students in our community. It has been great to be in the same place as some of you!

Minnesota friends, I'll be up there the end of this month and hopefully in October or November, too! I simply cannot wait to reconnect with y'all!

In the last month I've starting working at a Christian preschool, joined a small group at my church where I've also starting volunteering as an intern of Family Discipleship, been connected with a family who has a sweet little boy I get to babysit on an infrequent but regular basis, and have enjoyed spending time with my few dear friends in town. There is also talk of puppy-sitting for some friends who'd like to get a dog soon...!

Multiple times a week people will inevitably ask, "So now that you're back what are you doing?"
And I give them some rendition of what I just told you.
It's usually in that moment that I see a somewhat confused look come over their faces. I can see their wheels turning and the look flash across their eyes that says, "Wait... that's it? That's all?"
And sometimes I think, "Trust me. This is not what I had planned for my life at 23 either."
Sometimes they'll go on to give an encouraging smile and say, "Wow, that's great..."

Usually, though, I'll just jump in and explain that since I might only be in the States until next summer I'm not really using this year to
      build up my savings account ( but I could still totally use your support this year!
      get another professional degree
      settle down and establish a life here
      pursue a career...

Nope. I'm not focusing on anything of those things right now.
I realize this is not helping me achieve the American Dream, and it totally goes against the typical American lifestyle.
But as one of my co-teachers said the other day, "And that's not such a bad thing."

So what am I doing?

I think this week I finally narrowed it down from the vague "doing some random stuff here and there" to "using my time and talents to serve others wherever possible and meet needs however I can." My flexible schedule allows me to say "yes" to the family without a babysitter (or puppy-sitter!), "yes" to the unexpected need for a sub in sunday school, and "yes" to a visit up north to reconnect with precious friends! 

Although living in Uganda was good practice, this is by far the least structure in my schedule and the most free time I've had in many years. But it's such a joy to be able to focus on serving others and building relationships without worrying about whether or not I'll have time for all of it.

And it's not such a bad thing.  

No comments :

Post a Comment