Friday, March 16, 2012

Back to the Capitol

Although many people make frequent trips from Mbarara to Kampala, the capitol city of Uganda, I have not been back since we first arrived in August. Kampala is extremely hot, busy, and crowded compared to our darling Mbarara town. While Mbarara isn't able to boast about shopping malls, fancy restaurants, or super-stores, I still prefer its quaint shops and small-town feel to the sprawling capitol city.

That being said, I had to make a trip back to Kampala this week. I made plans to visit a long-term AIM missionary working with children in Kampala and went to visit a couple babies homes. Kelsea and Seb, two teammates of mine, also came along to do some shopping and visit friends.

We were greeted by a traffic jam due to constuction as we entered the city, but made it to AIM's guesthouse, Matoke Inn, without too much hassle. It's fun to stay at Matoke Inn because you never know who you'll meet or what connections you'll make as missionaries from all over the central region are always coming and going.

On Tuesday, I visited Baby Watoto: Bulrushes in the morning and Child's i Foundation in the afternoon. They are two very different organizations with very different methods of operation and beliefs, but they both ultimately work towards the same end goal: to rescue abandoned children and help them grow to be productive and valued citizens of Uganda.

At Baby Watoto, I got to visit and cuddle two little boys who were cared for for a short time by a missionary family in Mbarara. They both appear to be doing well, and it was great to see them again!



I learned a lot from both visits, made valuable contacts, and came away with a lot to think and pray about. I must learn to single out God's voice, spoken clearly and powerfully, even if it's spoken quietly, amidst the many strong opinions people share with me.

A highlight of my week was going back to Destiny Boarding School with Kelsea on Wednesday to visit the girls we sponsor. We first met Jane and Clair in 2008 when we came to Uganda with World Help. Coming back to see them again almost 4 years later was a beautiful experience! Jane has grown from a shy, little girl into a beautiful, young lady with quite the sense of humor! Jane is currently in primary 6, likes to read, and wants to be a secondary school teacher some day. When I asked why she preferred secondary over primary students she said, "Because they cannot disturb you so much." Our visit with them was short but very sweet. Being able to give Jane a big hug and laugh together over some silly photos are memories I'll hold on to for a long time. 

Then...

And now...!
  


The biggest change I noticed during this return visit to Destiny wasn't the new buildings and programs that have been constructed all over the campus or even how much Jane has grown. Instead, I had the over-whelming realization of just how much I've changed in the past four years.

I don't feel like I've changed all that much, but when placed in the very same context I was in a few years ago, the changes in me became obvious. I was viewing the school, ministry, and children in a completely new and enlightened way. My view of world missions has evolved immensely, and I've become more educated about Ugandan culture and society, for which I'm grateful. I remember how I felt visiting this school and the children for the first time in 2008, but the thoughts and feelings that immediately struck me when I visited this time were vastly different.

I have changed. For good and forever.

We're in Mbarara again, safe and sound, and I couldn't be happier to be back! Kampala was exhausting, but I'm glad to have made some really valuable contacts there.

Dade and Dara come back on Monday, so we'll start school again this Wednesday. The time off has gone quickly, and I'm amazed at how much I was able to fit in to it! I'm looking forward to having Jill and the kids back around, though, and to having some sort of routine again.

Blessings to you all over the weekend!

No comments :

Post a Comment