Thursday, September 15, 2011

Amagara: Life

In the months before coming to Uganda I was praying that God would provide me with one or two young women who I could pour into and develop real friendships with. God has already answered that prayer in the form of a beautiful young lady named Sophie!

Kelsea and I met Sophie on our first Sunday in Mbarara. She came up to us with a big smile and hugs, and right away I knew that she was different, and I was drawn to her charisma. A week later it was time to find someone to be our language helper so that we could continue studying Runyankole. Joel suggested we call Sophie, and right away we loved the idea. Fortunately, she did too, and we made plans for her to come over three times a week to teach us.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons have quickly become something I look forward to the most during my week. Not only is Sophie a natural and talented teacher, she has also become a dear friend to me. She has a wonderful sense of humor, and we laugh often during the hours we spend together. Frequent laughter is another answer to prayer! I love to laugh and thrive on the energy that it gives. Sophie has been a life-giver to me.

Our time with Sophie is not only spent learning Runyankole. Much to my delight, our language lessons often turn into entire cultural lessons! One day she taught us how to soak, boil, and prepare beans in addition to teaching us how to say God loves you ("Ruhanga nakukunda.") and how to reject pushy boda-boda drivers ("Tinkukunda.").

Yesterday's lesson was the most memorable and the most full of laughter so far! Somehow we digressed from learning question words and numbers to talk about music. We have to "end tables" in our living room that happen to be beautiful drums. Little did we know that Sophie is not only a wonderful teacher and cook but also a talented drummer! Before we knew it we were all pounding away on the drum learning a traditional drum beat for the Banyankole people.
TA tee tee TA tee tee TA tee
TA tee tee TA tee tee TA tee


Eventually, Justus made his way over to our front porch, and we demonstrated our new skill for him! The four of us continued to have a wonderful time together laughing, dancing, and being entertained by one another.


Next lesson: We'll teaching Sophie how to country line dance, and she'll teach us the traditional dance to this drum beat.


A happy heart makes the face cheerful... Proverbs 15:13a

I'm feeling the need for a joyful heart, good friends, and entertaining moments more that ever now. We've been without power in our part of Nkokonjeru since Sunday, and were informed yesterday by someone who heard it from someone who has a friend that works at the power company that part of the transformer was stolen. Therefore, it's possible that we will be without power for a month! And I thought five days was getting to be ridiculous... I know that Beth declared us real, African women in Kamwenge, but Lord, give me strength...!



No comments :

Post a Comment